Statewide Homeschool Organizations
- The HomeSchool Association of California (HSC) has a thorough Web site with verified legal information about homeschooling in California. The group has an active mailing list and Facebook presence. HSC’s annual homeschooling conference is held in the Bay Area and is an essential experience for new homeschoolers as well as many veterans.
- California Homeschool Network (CHN) also provides complete information on homeschooling in California, online communities, and an annual Family Expo held in Southern California.
Local Homeschool Support Groups
- See A2Z Home's Cool for general homeschooling resources by Ann Zeise, especially her California homeschooling page, which lists local homeschool support groups and events.
- Diane Flynn Keith, who offers homeschooling workshops in the Bay Area, and is the author of Carschooling, also maintains listings of California homeschool support groups on her Homefires site.
- Bay Area Homeschool Field Trips is a announcement-based mailing list for homeschoolers in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Homeschooling Gifted Children
- Homeschooling Gifted Children is a collection of articles and resources at Hoagies’ Gifted Education Page.
- The national Gifted Homeschoolers Forum offers many resources for both giftedness and homeschooling. There is a Yahoo group mailing list and Facebook page among the online community offerings.
- TAGMAX is a national mailing list for families who are homeschooling their gifted children.
- Creative Home Schooling: A Resource Guide for Smart Families, by Lisa Rivero
- Free Range Learning: How Homeschooling Changes Everything, by Laura Grace Weldon
- The Homeschooling Option: How to Decide When it's Right for Your Family, by Lisa Rivero
- The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home, by Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Bauer
- Learning All the Time, by John Holt
- The Book of Learning and Forgetting, by Frank Smith
- Teach Your Own: The John Holt Book of Homeschooling, by John Holt and Patrick Farenga
- A Sense of Self: Listening to Homeschooled Adolescent Girls, by Susannah Sheffer
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: The School Years, by Elizabeth G. Hainstock
- Homeschooling and the Voyage of Self-Discovery, by David H. Albert
- Some of My Best Friends are Books: Guiding Gifted Readers from Preschool to High School, by Judith Wynn Halsted
- How Children Learn, by John Holt
- Summerhill School: A New View of Childhood, by A.S. Neill
- Homeschooling Our Children, Unschooling Ourselves, by Alison McKee
- Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience, by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi